Wednesday 12 July 2017

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood: Part 1, Vol. 1 - Horihiko Araki

Famed for its wild humor and fight frenzies, I was really looking forward to reading JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for the first time. True to it's reputation, it has a considerable amount of fight scenes, almost obscene muscles and verges on the side of very gorey. The art style is detailed and iconic, just not my cup of tea. I love JoJo as a character. I grew to love his true gentleman nature and the very easy to empathize with underdog aspect of his character, however he has very few flaws besides his near constant losses to Dio. The way the information about the Aztec mask was revealed was very clever, both in the beginning few pages and when Dio steals the mask. One thing I vehemently dislike about this manga was the animal cruelty. First with JoJo's past attitude towards his dog, throwing stones at it and mistreating it because it bit him. Then again when Dio first meets the dog and punches it in the face, throwing it forcefully backwards. Then finally when the dog has its muzzle wired shut and is thrown in a box to be set on fire. What on Earth was Araki thinking? I don't think I'll ever understand why that was necessary to the story. I can see why people love it. Everything is bold and more than a little over the top. I can't say I liked it as much as I was expecting to. I'd give volume 2 a go if I stumbled upon it, but I'm unlikely to search out the rest of this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment